Cristóbal Schmal was born in Arica, Chile. A dusty city in the Atacama Desert. He studied Graphic Design in Valparaiso and then moved to Barcelona (Spain) where he lived for 7 nice years. Two years ago he moved to Berlin.
Greatest Inspirations or Influences?
- Chilean communist graphics from the ’70′s, engravings,
- posters, travels, old typography;
- German Modernism, films, literature and music.
Most interesting projects you have done so far?
- Poster about Berlin for a Bauhaus Archive exhibition
- Poster about Bauhaus Movement for a Bauhaus City Tour in Berlin organized by Inpolis
- Some Illustrations about Russian poets that lived in Baku city for a Magazine in Baku
What would be a dream project for you?
I would really like to make a Film, or some animation project.
Why has Berlin become such a creative hub in Europe?
Because of its history, its spaces, the low prices and its strategic location in Europe
What do you like most about living in Berlin?
I enjoy Berlin for its quality of life, people are relaxed. There is also a great tradition in terms of Graphic Design and Illustration concerns. And its still cheap!